|I began with some beaded styrofoam insulation boards.|
These are about an inch thick.
|I broke out my old Woodland Scenics foam cutter.|
This is one of the handiest terrain building tools I have.
|I also needed my hot glue gun.|
I couldn't find my low temp one but the high temp works fine.
Only problem with it is the foam will melt because the glue is too hot.
It isn't an issue on this project because all the glued surfaces are hidden.
I neglected to take pics along the way. But what I did was cut out random shapes of foam and then glue them together to form larger blocks. These blocks I then carved into suitable shapes. I experimented and found some techniques that produced the look I wanted: sandstone monoliths with wind erosion. After I carved each monolith, I glued them to CDs for bases. This is what I ended up with...
You can see I've coated the bases with Liquitex Course Texture Gel.
I describe this product in an earlier post.
|Next I painted them all with the "Desert Yellow" texture paint I mixed for the terrain table.|
|Two larger monoliths.|
|Two groups of smaller monoliths.|
|Two shapes that are more interesting.|
The arch was an experiment. It's probably a little big for 15mm.
The one on the left is designed to allow units to get up on the level space.
|After the texture paint I used some light brown craft paint to make a wash and "weathered" the rocks. I didn't cover the whole model with wash. I just drizzled it on and let it drip down to make streaked stains.|
|Large monolith base coated, weathered and dry brushed with highlights.|
|Here they are lined up on the table!|
I'm very pleased with them. I'm looking forward to getting a battle going! I've got a couple more terrain projects to finish and I need to paint my minis, but I'm making good progress. Most importantly, I'm still having a blast!
That's it for now. Until next time, carry on!