|First Floor View|
|Second Floor View|
I printed on regular multi-use printer paper. The prints would be better if I used photograph paper, but for the cost I am content with the multi-use prints. I used permanent glue stick to fix the prints to the foamcore board. The instructions call for using either self-stick labels or spray adhesive but that was too much hassle for my taste. The glue stick seems to be working fine. Other than that minor change, I built everything according to the instructions, which were clear and easy to follow. I did have to buy an Xacto rabbet cutting tool. You can cut the rabbets with a regular hobby knife but a specialized tool makes it MUCH easier. (Rabbets are channels cut partway into the foamcore to make strong joints, especially at the corners.)
I did not bother with cutting out the doors and windows. The model would look better with that added level of detail, but my goal is to get a table finished quickly. I also did not add the chimney.
I really like the interiors on these models. I used a hot glue gun to attach the walls. Be careful with this method though! One of the upstairs walls ended up wonky because the glue sets quickly and I did not have it quite lined up correctly. Oh, well, it's an old Farmhouse anyway, right?
There is a bunch of furniture that comes with these kits, which I plan to use. The furniture pieces look great and seem pretty straightforward to assemble. I will "decorate" this farmhouse soon.
I purchased the rest of Stoelzel's houses as well as the M.U.C.K. and am eager to build more. I think this is an excellent way to build an urban or suburban table without too much hassle and with a good sense of scale. Plus you get buildings with full interiors! I plan to use these kits to build a "Main Street" type urban center with housing on the side streets behind the store fronts. I might even be able to manage a fair semblance to East Toledo for my new ATZ:FFO campaign I am designing.
Thanks, Carl, for a great product!