|4 bases laid out. Each is about 3" to a side.|
|To make the rough/broken ground I used some old aquarium gravel I've had for years.|
|I painted a thick layer of "Desert Yellow" texture paint onto each base and sprinkled with gravel.|
|When that dried, I painted on another layer of texture paint to help hold the gravel in place.|
|Next I used the Liquitex texture gel to make "sand drifts" over the rocks and on the edges of the bases.|
I thinned the gel a bit with water and swirled it over the models with a paint brush.
|When that dried I added a final coat of texture paint.|
|Next I used the same shade of brown wash that I used on the monoliths.|
Again, I just dribbled it around, not covering the whole model.
|Then I drybrushed highlights.|
1st Desert Yellow, then two layers of Desert Yellow mixed with increasing amounts of Ivory.
|Finally some flock, ballast and "scrubby plants."|
This was applied with white glue thinned with water.
|And here they are on my desert table!|
|In situ with a few monoliths.|
|Grunt's eye view.|