I finally finished my Khurasan Space Demons. Whew! They took forever. Not because they are difficult to paint, but rather because I've had a busy summer and there are 48(!) of them. I think they painted up pretty well. Very simple scheme - black undercoat, dark blue dry brush, red highlights on tongues, black ink wash. My plan was for them to look decent from a meter away on the tabletop. The goal was to make a cohesive looking mob, so I didn't focus closely on any individuals. Once the bases were finished I coated them with matte finish. Then I went back over the models and brushed on a clear high gloss finish, only on the aliens themselves. It is supposed to make them look slimy. I think it turned out ok.
|In process on the paint table. I think I was doing black ink washes at this point.|
Left is washed, right is not washed.
|Close up of finished models without gloss coat.|
Bases are unfinished here.
|Close up of finished models with gloss coat.|
Note bases are flocked/textured here.
|Comparison of finished model with gloss (left) and finished model with matte coat only (right).|
I like the gloss.
Bugs overrunning a small desert colony.
|The Hive Queen goads her minions into the assault.|