Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Warlock in a Fog

I painted this figure up last summer but never posted anything about it. This is another Reaper mini for my D&D games; a female warlock...

The paint job went forward well enough. I was very pleased with it. But then I made a BIG mistake...

This is the result of using a spray matte coating on a humid day. I thought it was thoroughly effed up. I tried using some rubbing alcohol but that didn't seem to do much other than soften the glue and make her arm fall off. I was so pissed/disappointed...

When I calmed down I did a little Google research and found that if I respray and then place the mini under a hot lamp for a few minutes that it should take care of the fog. I figured "why not?" and gave it a try...

After re-gluing her arm and a little touch up paint, it turned out okay! Still not perfect, as the colors are not quite as crisp as they were before, but this was a hell of a lot better than stripping and repainting.

So, here she is with her acrylic base posing in some of my Dwarvenforge Caverns terrain. I'm glad she was salvageable.

Until next time, carry on!


  1. I have had the same problem multiple times. I barely use a varnish spray anymore out of fear of ruining the miniature.
    I knew about the respray, but at one time it just cluttered making it even worse. The hot lamp is a new tip I haven't tried before. Seeing your safe I think I'll give the spray another go.
    Lovely work on the Warlock by the way!

    1. Thank you! To give credit where it is due, here is the video where I got the idea for the lamp: